S. J. Bargh Ltd. began in 1935
The journey began in 1935 when Samuel James Bargh began a small business from his home near Lancaster transporting milk in churns from farms to a local dairy. Sam and his wife Jessie ran the business in the early years and as the business grew more people were employed.
In the 1960’s the business moved to a larger site nearby with office and garage facilities and in 1971 a managing director, Mr John Gott, was appointed. It was around this time that the company branched out in to General Transport and Warehousing. During this period and upto his death in 2001 Sam’s son Ronnie was the Chairman.
1975 brought a significant change for S J Bargh when the milk churns were replaced with tankers; these were then managed and maintained in house.
In 1994 the milk industry experienced a major change when the Milk Marketing Board ceased operation and the milk business became privatised. This meant that the battle was on for transport operators to compete for the work of transporting milk for a variety of customers.
John Gott passed his knowledge on to a young Stuart Cornthwaite who joined the company as a trainee fitter in 1970 and Stuart became Managing Director in 1995. Through reputation, reliability and competitive pricing the company built an excellent relationship with its customers ensuring a successful future.
In 2009 the business expanded when S J Bargh purchased a similar business based in the Midlands. This brought new staff, customers and opportunities. Our once spacious offices are no longer suitable for the expanding business and this has required relocation to a new larger site on Caton road, Lancaster. The small business Sam started in 1935 now employs over 300 people and runs approx 150 vehicles collecting milk from the North West, the Midlands and Wales.